The following is a list of activities we perform for a range of businesses. Some engagements require all of them while others require a more specific scope of work within one of the three areas of product management.
Product strategy activities:
- Discover and validate market problems (both existing and future customers)
- Seek new market opportunities by leveraging the company’s distinctive competence
- Define and size market segments
- Conduct win/loss analysis
- Determine the optimum distribution strategy
- Provide oversight of strategy, technical, and marketing aspects of all products in the portfolio
- Analyze product profitability and sales success
- Create and maintain the business plan including pricing
- Determine buy/build/partner decisions
- Position the product for all markets and all buyer types
- Document the typical buying process
- Approve final marketing and go-to-market plans
Technical product management activities:
- Conduct technology assessment
- Analyze the competitive landscape
- Maintain the product portfolio roadmap
- Monitor and incorporating industry innovations
- Define user personas for individual products
- Write product requirements and use scenarios
- Maintain a status dashboard for all portfolio products
Design and marketing management activities:
- Define buyer personas and determine market messages
- Organize all user and functional requirements appearing in the product.
- Organize user pathways in the product to key activities and engagement goals.
- Organize relationship and interactions for all features, functions and content.
- Test assumptions on users on and off site.
- Create the marketing plan including methods for customer acquisition as well as customer retention
- Measure effectiveness of product marketing programs
- Maintain product launch plans
- Identify best opportunities for lead generation
- Create standard presentations and demo scripts
- Identify product references for industry and customer referrals
- Align sales tools and the ideal sales process to the typical buying process
- Facilitate channel training including competitive threats and related industry news